Just a little over a week after been replaced as the nation’s service chiefs, President Muhammadu Buhari has nominated the just-retired service chiefs as non-career ambassadors-designate.
The president, in a letter to the senate on Thursday, wrote: “In accordance with section 171 (1), (2) (c) & sub-section (4) of 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended, I have the honour to forward for confirmation by the Senate, the under-listed five (5) names of nominees as Non-Career Ambassadors-Designate.”
The nominees are:
- Abayomi G. Olonisakin, retired general and former chief of defence staff;
- Tukur Y. Buratai, retired lt-gen and former chief of army staff
- Ibok-Ete Ibas, retired vice-admiral and former chief of naval staff
- Sadique Abubakar, retired air marshal and former chief of air staff
- Mohammed S. Usman, retired air vice marshal and former chief of defence
Buhari urged the senate to give “expeditious consideration” to the nominations.
In the official announcement, they were said to have resigned and then retired.