The Niger state governor, Abubakar Sanni Bello have announced the release of all Passengers on a Niger State Transport Authority (NSTA) bus who were abducted last week.
The news of their release was made public on Sunday through the official Twitter handle of Abubakar Sani Bello, Niger state governor.
The tweet read: “Breaking News: The Niger State Government has succeeded in securing the release of all Abducted #RescueNSTAPassengers. Details shortly.”
It would be recalled that on February 15, gunmen suspected to be bandits had ambushed commuters who were said to be returning from a wedding in Rijau local government area (LGA) of the state.
At least 21 passengers were reported to have been taken by the gunmen.
Following their abduction, two days later, the kidnappers put out a video of the passengers and demanded a ransom of N500 million for their release.
They threatened to kill the hostages should the government fail to meet their demands.
However, the state government had said it would not pay ransom for the abducted passengers and students of Government Science College (GSC), Kagara, who were abducted in the early hours of Wednesday.
Despite the insistence of the state government not paying ransom, news are in the rife that the government paid a staggering sum of 800m to secure the release of the abducted passengers and school boys.