Boko Haram’s attack on military base leaves Travellers stranded on Maiduguri-Damaturu highway.


blank

The military on Sunday engaged the Boko Haram sect in a 3-hour gun battle which left many travellers along the Maiduguri-Damaturu highway stranded.

After the three-hour shootout, the military said soldiers escorted a long convoy of stranded travellers to Damaturu.

According to security sources, the gun duel took place at Lawan-Mainari village, about two kilometres from Jakana town. The terrorists had reportedly targetted a military base but were repelled.

Jakana is about 41km from Maiduguri, Borno State capital. The town has been attacked several times in the last 10 years.

In a story monitored through PREMIUM TIMES, Bukar Adam, a local security operative who lives in Jakana, said the soldiers halted movement on the highway for over three hours to avoid civilian casualties.

“The Boko Haram gunmen came out through the Lawan-Mainari axis of the highway to probably attack the military base there. They had engaged one another in a shootout for some hour.

“One is not sure if they had repelled the attack but the soldiers are yet to open the roads,” he said.

Similarly, a senior military personnel who spoke to  PREMIUM TIMES but does want his name on print also confirmed the incident but declined to give details.

“All I know is that our soldiers are engaging the terrorists who were out to cause mayhem on the highway,” he said.

The Borno State commander of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS), Abioye Babalola, also confirmed the development.

He said the attack had been repelled and travellers have been escorted in a long convoy down to Damaturu, the Yobe state capital.

“It was an attack on the military at a location between Jakana and Mainok,” he said

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *