The continued destruction of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) offices have continued in the southeast as two more offices of the agencies have been burnt down by unknown hoodlums.
According to the commission, the two offices in Ebonyi state were burnt down on Tuesday night, making it the fourth razed in the southeast in one week.
Just on Tuesday, the commission’s headquarters in Enugu was razed, while three days later, one of its offices in Udenu LGA of the state was also burnt down.
Earlier in the month, the offices of the commission Akwa-Ibom and Abia states were also razed.
Writing his its Twitter handle on Wednesday, INEC said: “Last night, Tuesday 18th May 2021, two INEC offices in Ebonyi and Ezza North Local Government Areas of Ebonyi State were burnt down by unidentified persons.
“No casualties but extensive damages to the building and facilities.”
The electoral umpire had expressed worry that the attacks may affect its preparations for the 2023 general elections.
Speaking on Channels TV, Festus Okoye, INEC’s spokesperson, said on Tuesday that the commission has lost sensitive and non-sensitive materials, including generators and card readers, as a result of the incidents.
“In relation to some of these attacks and their implications, you know at the local government level, the electoral officers serve more or less as managing directors of our elections,” he had said.
“We do not conduct elections at our INEC headquarters. It is at the base level that these elections are conducted. You also know that we just finished verification relating to the expansion of voters’ access to the polling units. It was at the various local government offices that these were coordinated. They coordinated the geo-referencing of the old and new polling units.”