Aftermath of the attack on the Abuja -Kaduna rail, a source in the train claimed that Several persons including one of the train drivers, food vendors, and cleaners were reportedly killed in the attack.
Ekocitymagazine had reported how gunmen attacked the train which was on its way to Kaduna from Abuja on Monday night.
Before the attack, the gunmen were said to have blown up the rail track after which they launched an attack on the passengers.
According to sources, the gunmen were said to have gone straight for the VIP coaches on getting into the train.
An unspecified number of passengers were said to have been injured during the attack while some others were reportedly abducted.
“The attackers went for the VIP coaches,” one of the sources told TheCable.
“Some persons were abducted and several others with injuries.”
Another source who spoke to TheCable said: “Lots of railway staff are missing. Their bodies were not found among the dead and their whereabouts unknown.”
Giving an update on the incident, Samuel Aruwan, commissioner for internal security and home affairs, said the evacuation of trapped train passengers has been concluded.
Aruwan also added that fatalities were recorded and the victims had been moved to hospitals.
“Evacuation of passengers on the trapped Kaduna-bound train from Abuja has been concluded this morning by security forces, officials of Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and Nigerian Red Cross,” Aruwan said.
“Passengers who sustained injuries, and other fatalities, have been moved to hospitals.
“The passengers were evacuated from different hard-to-reach areas in forests and rocky locations in Audujongom, off the Kaduna-Abuja Road.
“As stated yesterday, the Kaduna State Government is still liaising with the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) to ascertain the list from the passengers manifest for efficient tracking.
“Governor Nasir El-Rufai who commended all those who participated in the evacuation appealed to the hospitals to attend to the victims diligently.”
He said the governor also directed the ministry of health to be in contact with the hospitals as it will bear the cost of the victims’ treatment.
Aruwan added that the search and rescue operations are still ongoing.
After the attack, the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) suspended train operations on that route.