Not less than Ten soldiers have been reportedly killed in an ambush laid by suspected Boko Haram insurgents, according to TheCable.
The report said the soldiers were reportedly moving in a convoy from Monguno to Maiduguri, Borno state capital, on Thursday, when the insurgents attacked.
Stories from Sources claim that the soldiers were from one of the super camps in the area and were moving some items and personnel to the theatre command in Maiduguri.
“The insurgents must have planted the mines over the night, with information that the troops will use the road by morning,” a source said.
“Not less than 10 of the soldiers, including an officer believed to be a unit commander, were killed in the attack. Some others who sustained injuries have been evacuated.”
Aside the killing of the soldiers, Ekocitymagazine also understands that the insurgents also made away with some weapons and equipment belonging to the army.
This attack is a huge setback as it is coming weeks after hundreds of insurgents surrendered to the troops.
Earlier in August, top commanders of insurgent groups surrendered, and sought forgiveness from Nigerians.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian military had said it has resolved to intensify kinetic and non-kinetic approaches towards the ongoing fight against insurgency.